How to use the Haakaa Breast Pump
You're a mama! Congratulations! We know these first few weeks are tough. While you're frantically navigating the newborn haze, learning the ins & outs of breastfeeding, cracked nipples (ouch), let down, engorged breasts and more - here is the low-down on how to use the Haakaa Breast Pump. It's one of our most popular items in store and there's so many reasons why it's highly recommended by so many other mums.
The Haakaa is super simple to use. Middle of the night proof, haven't-slept-for-3-days-but-need-to-express-so-you-can-shower-proof, and of course the clever suction base helps to avoid any spills (no crying over spilt milk here, mama!)
Let's start with the important stuff: before you use your Haakaa, make sure you sterilise it! Sterilise placing it in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or steam sterilising. Once it has cooled down, you're ready to go.
Another important thing to remember, wipe any moisturiser, lanolin or any other body products off your breast and start with clean skin before using.
Do your best to try and relax. Pumping can seem stressful, especially when you're worried about not producing enough, or if you're concerned that baby won't take the bottle after you've gone to all this trouble. We know 'relax' is easier said than done, but do your best! Pop your feet up, make a cuppa and take a deep breath.
- Squeeze the round body of the pump and place your nipple into the centre of the pump. Ensure that your nipple is in the centre of the pump to avoid any friction whilst you're pumping.
- Happy with where your nipple is sitting? Slowly release the pump, ensuring you have a good seal between the flange and the skin around the nipple, creating a suction.
- Once your milk starts to flow, simply leave the pump alone to do its thing!
- As your milk flow slows, or you've expressed enough, squeeze the round body of the pump gently to ease the suction and remove from your breast.
- If your pump is full and you wish to keep collecting milk, empty your breastmilk into a safe storage container and reposition the pump.
More of a visual kinda gal? We get it. Check out our how-to video on YouTube:
Now that you've got this sorted, let's make sure your breasts are being properly supported and your nursing bras fit correctly.
Don't know where to start? We've got you! Check out our blog range starting here to go through your options and make sure everything is fitting like it should.
And if you're wanting to boost your supply (or just need a delicious treat) check out our range of tea and cookies, filled with galactagogues to help promote your breastmilk supply.