Top Tips for Maternity Shopping
If there is one thing lockdown taught us, it's the convenience of online shopping. We get it mama...sitting in your pj's on the couch at home and having anything you want sent to you at the click of a button. And that's exactly why we have our fabulous online store www.preggicentral.com
But like every pregnant woman before you, we understand that it can get tricky buying clothes when your body is changing and growing, especially for your first pregnancy. Nothing beats being able to see, touch and try something on before you buy and our beautiful shop in Frankston is exactly the place to do just that!
So, we have put together our top "maternity shopping' tips to help you get the most out of your visit and ensure you walk away feeling fabulous and excited about your purchases.
- Your first time in a maternity store can be overwhelming, especially when there is so much choice. Before you come, have a look in your wardrobe to see what you have grown out of first…is it work clothes, weekend, active wear? Are you going on a babymoon and need some amazing vacation clothes? Or if you are still not sure, just start with the essentials like leggings, jeans and basic tops
- If you are in the early stages where you don't look pregnant yet and feel like you've just had a big meal, don't despair; we know it can be tough to work out what to wear. Your current clothes aren't fitting, but you're not sure if you are ready to show off your bump just yet. Or, maybe your belly has popped and you want to share it with the world. Thankfully the style possibilities at each stage are endless, with many flowy and fitted options to cultivate the look you want. We understand the challenges with a changing body shape and will support you so that you walk away with an outfit or even a wardrobe that makes you feel fabulous.
- Please don't stress about the size. Maternity clothes are designed to accommodate a growing belly and changing body but different brands, styles and fabrics work differently on different bodies. Start with your pre-pregnancy size and go up from there if needed. The number or letter on the tag is not important, it's all about how you look and feel.
- Be open and willing to try on all different styles. We pride ourselves on our curated range of the best pieces from all the maternity brands on the market. We select fashion across a variety of styles so that you can find something that is really YOU! But it's always good to step out of your comfort zone and try something new and our friendly staff are always available to offer suggestions about how to put outfits together. You may find that even if you haven't worn figure hugging outfits before, you could be open to it now that you don't have to hold your tummy in! And if you want to stick with floaty and flowy because it makes you feel like a goddess, go for it mama.
- Maternity clothes are no longer just for a few months. We commonly hear “I don't want to buy much when I'm not wearing it for long”. We stock a huge range of maternity wear that is also breastfeeding and new mum friendly. And we have made it easy for you to spot, as you will find these with a pink toggle on the coat hanger. You can also check out our non pregnant staff who will often be wearing the clothes too.
- If shopping for a baby shower or special occasion dress, there are a few small things you can do to help you recognise the dress of your dreams when you see it! We know you are reaching the end of your pregnancy and that you may be feeling tired, uncomfortable and basically just over it, but before you come, style your hair, pop on some makeup and even a tan. This way you will get a true visual of how amazing you will look on your special day. Try to bring the right shoes and remember that underwear can make a huge difference to how an outfit looks, so bring some along or ask our staff for the perfect bra from our huge selection and some of our super popular seamless support briefs and shorts.
- Bra shopping can be torture at the best of times- but when those breasts seem to have a mind of their own and are increasing in size in front of your eyes, knowing what to buy and when can be confusing. Our staff are expert bra fitters with years of experience and will help you find the perfect bra to tick all your boxes. Whether you are in the first or second trimester, approaching birth or at the beginning of your breastfeeding journey, we understand what you are going through and have the knowledge to make sure you have the best breast care info and get the right fit. And don't be afraid to speak up during your fitting, we love it when our customers tell us what's working and what's not because at the end of the day it's all about YOU!
- If you are bringing along a shopping companion, make sure it is someone who is truthful but kind. Maternity shopping with your mum can be such a special and memorable experience for you both, but if she tends to be a bit critical or you have opposing opinions on style, she may not be who you need right now. If hubby is clueless, leave him home too (unless he is there to treat you! ) A good friend or sister who will ensure you feel amazing is often a great choice or come on your own as our staff are super helpful and happy to give honest feedback.
If you are visiting us as a new mum with a bubba, we are more than happy to push or rock a pram and even have cuddles if you feel comfortable, so that you can shop unrushed and in peace. And our water station, feeding chairs and change table are here to make your whole experience that much easier.
So what are you waiting for? Whether you are just around the corner, the other side of Melbourne or even country Victoria, we know that the trip to our store is absolutely worth it! (Check out our customer reviews to see what other mamas have said). And as a one-stop-shop, you can stock up on hospital bag essentials, postpartum products and breastfeeding aids whilst you're here.
We can’t wait to see you!
The PC Team x